Amy Winehouse five times over drink-drive limit when she died

0
Have your say

SINGER Amy Winehouse was more than five times the drink-drive limit at the time of her death, an inquest was told yesterday.

St Pancras Coroner Suzanne Greenway recorded a verdict of misadventure after being told the 27-year-old was poisoned by alcohol after being dry for three weeks.

The star was found in bed in her Camden flat, in north London, on July 23.

Police recovered three bottles of vodka, two large and one small.

Yesterday’s hearing was told a post mortem examination of the Back To Black diva’s body found her vital organs in good health, with no traces of illegal drugs.

But she had huge amounts of alcohol in her system which could have stopped her breathing and sent her into a coma.

The pathologist who conducted the post mortem said the blood alcohol reading was above the level considered fatal.

Winehouse had kicked her drug habit but fell back into a pattern of abstaining from drink for weeks then starting again.

Her GP, Dr Christina Romete, who had been treating the star for several years, said she warned Winehouse about the dangers. The doctor, who saw the singer the night before she died and described her as tipsy but coherent, said Winehouse was headstrong about the ways she should deal with her drink battle.

She said: “The advice I had given to Amy over a long period of time was verbal and in written form about all the effects alcohol can have on the system, including respiratory depression and death, heart problems, fertility problems and liver problems.”

Winehouse, who was taking medication to cope with alcohol withdrawal and anxiety, was reviewed last year by a psychologist and psychiatrist about her drinking.

The night before she died the 27-year-old said she did not know if she was going to stop drinking but “she did not want to die”.

“She was looking forward to the future,” said the doctor as Winehouse’s tearful parents Mitch and Janis listened in the public gallery.