There was a heatwave, good news for Yorkshire cricket an disappointment in the football, but how much do you really remember about the last seven days?
1. This week Lancashire County Council turned down a planning application by energy firm Caudrilla for ‘fracking’, which is the removal of shale gas using high pressure jets. How long did the company estimate the gas under Lancashire would last the UK?
a) 20 years
b) 50 years
c) 150 years
d) 1,500 years
2. Many holidaymakers found they were going nowher whne French port workers continued to cause travel chaos this week with their strike at Calais, but what are they striking over?
a) Eurotunnel banning coffee breaks
b) Eurotunnel selling their company
c) British lorries driving too fast
d) the wave of immigrants
3. Which British men’s tennis player was a surprise winner on day one of Wimbledon?
a) Andy Murray
b) Tim Henman
c) Liam Broady
d) Kyle Edmond
4. Which supermarket performed best in latest sales figures?
5. Temperatures and ice cream sales soared this week and a new record of 37.4C (99.3F) was recorded at Heathrow. The previous hottest temperature of 37.1F was set in Gravesend, Kent, but in what year?
6. Repeats of which popular 1980s series were pulled from US television this week because a car featured in the show was emblazoned in the Confederate flag amid growing calls for the use of the emblem to be ended after nine African-Americans were shot dead in the Charleston church massacre?
a) The Fall Guy
b) The Dukes of Hazzard
c) The A-Team
d) Knight Rider
7. Which MP claimed this week to be the original architect of the ‘Northern Powerhouse’?
a) George Osborne
b) Gordon Brown
c) Dennis Skinner
d) John Prescott
8. How many runs did in-form Yorkshire batsman Jonny Bairstow score in his career-best innings against Durham which helped his side cruise to victory at the Chester-le-Street ground.
9. An own goal with the last kick of the game saw England cruelly miss out on a place in the final of the women’s football World Cup. But who did they lose to in the agonising semi-final?
10. The Irish singer. entertainer and cardigan model Val Doonican passed away this week at the age of 88. Which of the following was not one of his hit songs?
a) Paddy McGinty’s Goat
b) Delaney’s Donkey
c) Fitzgerald’s Farm
d) O’Rafferty’s Motor Car