Caught on camera: Leeds fans wanted over Kirkland attack
THESE Leeds United fans are wanted by police over trouble at the infamous game with Sheffield Wednesday during which goalkeeper Chris Kirkland was assaulted.
South Yorkshire Police issued the CCTV images today following disorder at Wednesday’s Hillsborough ground during the Championship fixture on October 19.
A spokesman said: “South Yorkshire Police wish to speak to these people to assist with their investigation into the disorder.”
The match, which finished 1-1, became notorious after Leeds fan Aaron Cawley, 21, was caught on television running onto the pitch and striking Wednesday keeper Kirkland in the face following United’s equaliser.
Cawley, from Cheltenham, pleaded guilty at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court to assault and entering the field.
He was given a 16-week jail sentence and a six-year football banning order, as well as a life ban from Elland Road.
Police are continuing to investigate further reports of trouble inside the ground.
Anyone pictured, or anyone who knows who they are, should call South Yorkshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 279 of October 19.
Alternatively, call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- McDermott reveals pre-season plans for Leeds
- Yorkshire cities among the top 10 in welfare spending league
- Lure of Molineux was spur for McLaughlin
- Sporting Bygones: Still carrying the fight on behalf of Leeds United after dreams of European glory were dashed by corrupt referee in Salonika
- Exclusive: Doncaster set to reveal Appleton as new Rovers manager today
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Yorkshire
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 4 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: North west