Queen to attend meeting of Cabinet
The Queen will attend Cabinet in Downing Street today as an observer, Number 10 has confirmed.
Officials said she would also be presented with a gift, funded by contributions made by each Secretary of State, to mark her Diamond Jubilee.
The Queen will become the first monarch to attend the weekly briefing since Queen Victoria and will sit next to the Prime Minister during the 90-minute meeting.
Downing Street would not disclose details about the gift the Queen will be presented with, but it is known the visit has been planned for some time and comes towards the end of a year of celebrations to mark the anniversary.
The Prime Minister’s spokesman said: “The Queen will be visiting Downing Street and she will be presented with a gift from the Cabinet to mark her Diamond Jubilee year and she will then attend Cabinet as an observer.”
He added: “I think she will sit round the table and I think she will sit alongside the Prime Minister.”
- Woolwich police raid house in Lincolnshire
- Two shot after soldier is hacked to death in street with meat cleaver
- McDermott identifies Leeds transfer targets
- Leeds MP beaten unconscious in homophobic attack hits out at Tory gay marriage rebels
- £20,000 damages for Yorkshire policewoman offered a pink gun
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Yorkshire
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 21 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 5 C to 11 C
Wind Speed: 29 mph
Wind direction: North east