FOR more than 70 years, Centenary House in Leeds served as a sanctuary for the sick.
It’s now on the market for £1.5m, and could be used by companies and community groups.
The Grade II listed building was built in 1904 as the Leeds Public Dispensary.
Over the decades, the needs of patients and health care workers changed, and in, 1976, it was bought by the Leeds Society for Deaf and Blind People, which still uses the building as its headquarters.
Mike Haigh, of Leeds-based property consultancy Dove Haigh Phillips, who is marketing the 38,000 sq ft building jointly with Edward Symmons, said: “It is well situated in Leeds’ burgeoning Northern Quarter, close to the city’s retail and leisure core.
“We are expecting a good deal of interest in Centenary House. Subject to planning, the building could have a number of uses, from residential, to offices to a hotel.
“It could also continue as a hub for community groups. The attraction for developers is that they can start with pretty much a blank canvas.
“The section of the building which fronts North Street currently provides a mix of offices, meeting rooms and accommodation. There is also a three-bedroom maisonette, making it a genuine mixed-use site.”
The area around Centenary House has seen significant investment in recent years.
Major developments include Rushbond’s Crispin Lofts Apartments and the Leeds Arena, which is under construction and due for completion next year.
Mr Haigh added: “There will be further investment in the area with Hammerson’s £600m Eastgate scheme, which is scheduled for 2015, with John Lewis and Marks & Spencer committed as anchor tenants.”