Chemical fumes trap residents in homes

0
Have your say

A chemical leak caused an emergency on a North Yorkshire industrial estate for much of yesterday – forcing residents to keep doors and windows shut.

Firefighters and other 999 workers were called out in force to tackle the incident at 3M on the Standard Way industrial Estate in Northallerton at 6am.

Following a joint operation, the incident was brought to a safe conclusion shortly after 1pm.

The cordon was lifted and local residents were free to go outside and open their windows. The fire service remained on standby inside the building but the exterior was free from any fumes. Pedestrians and motorists were then allowed back onto the Standard Way Industrial estate.

Insp John Wilkinson, of Hambleton Safer Neighbourhood Team, said: “Thanks to the cooperation, understanding and patience of local people and businesses we were able to bring the incident to a safe and swift conclusion.

“Police and fire officers worked together to ensure disruption and inconvenience was kept to a minimum. The chemical released was a mild irritant and there was no risk of harm to members of the public.”

Group manager Carl Boasman, of North Yorkshire Fire Service, added: “The incident is currently being handed over to external agents as part of the clean up operation.”

Fumes containing a mild irritant had leaked from the premises following a reaction between some of the chemicals