A 60-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murdering missing York chef Claudia Lawrence has been released from his bail without charge by police.
The man, also from York and named locally as former lab technician Michael Snelling, was arrested in May on suspicion of killing Miss Lawrence.
North Yorkshire Police today said that he has been released from his bail without being charged.
Miss Lawrence, who worked in a kitchen at York University and was 35 when she went missing, has not been seen since March 2009. Police think she has been murdered.
A 46-year-old man arrested suspicion of perverting the course of justice as part of the investigation in July remains on police bail.
According to North Yorkshire Police, “significant enquiries” are continuing into Miss Lawrence’s disappearance and “there remains the possibility that further arrests in this case will be made”.
A spokesman said: “This remains a live investigation with new lines of enquiry being actively pursued. It is therefore extremely important that the media and the public do not publish or broadcast anything on traditional media platforms or on social and digital sites that could compromise the investigation or the legal rights of those connected to, or involved in, the case.”
Miss Lawrence was last seen at around 3pm on March 18 2009 as she made her way home from her shift and was reported missing by her father two days later.
Her family believe something happened to her as she left for work early on March 19. Since the fifth anniversary of her disappearance new lines of inquiry have emerged, although her body has never been found.
North Yorkshire Police launched a review of the investigation last year and carried out a detailed re-examination of Miss Lawrence’s home.
Detectives launched a fresh appeal for information on the BBC’s Crimewatch programme earlier this year. Officers said at the time of the TV appeal that they were interested in the Acomb area of York.
They said evidence derived from calls made from Miss Lawrence’s missing mobile phone suggested she had been spending time in the Acomb area in the weeks up to her disappearance.
A pub in Acomb was searched in July, on the day the 46-year-old man was arrested.
Responding to the announcement by North Yorkshire Police, Martin Dales, spokesman for Miss Lawrence’s father Peter, said: “The good thing is that at least it shows something is still happening, that there is still work going on to find answers.
“It might appear a bit negative but on the other hand there could be other positive things coming to try and resolve this matter.
“It is getting on for six years now. I welcome the fact that there is still something going on.”
Anyone with information that could assist the investigation should contact North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 1, and pass details to the Force Control Room. Quote “Claudia Lawrence” when passing on details.
Information can also be passed to the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111, quoting “Claudia Lawrence, North Yorkshire Police” or visit www.crimestoppers-uk.org and fill in an Anonymous Online Form.