Clegg’s old head teacher sentenced for abusing boys

Nick Clegg
Nick Clegg
0
Have your say

A FORMER head teacher will be sentenced today for abusing boys at his school - days after his former colleague apparently threw himself under a train ahead of attending court.

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, who attended the school, spoke of his shock after former head teacher Roland Peter Wright’s conviction last year.

Hugh Henry, 82, who also taught at the school, was due to be sentenced alongside him today but police said a body believed to be his was found near Amersham Underground station in Buckinghamshire on Tuesday.

The sentencing of Wright, 83, who assaulted five pupils aged between eight and 13 between 1959 and 1970, is expected to proceed despite Henry’s death.

A third teacher at Caldicott Boys’ Preparatory School in Farnham Royal, Buckinghamshire, was previously sentenced for committing historic child sex offences there.

Mr Clegg, who was joint head boy at Caldicott in 1980, spoke of his horror after Wright’s conviction for 10 counts of indecent assault on a male and two of indecency with a child at Amersham Crown Court in December.

He told The Times he was “shocked and appalled by the gross betrayal and violation of childhood innocence shown to have taken place”.

He said: “These reports will disturb everyone, but most especially those, like myself, who were pupils at the school and were entirely unaware that such abuse was taking place.

“I can only imagine the devastating impact that such abuse must have had on the young boys who were affected. My heart goes out to them.”

Henry, of Pomeroy Close, Amersham, had previously pleaded guilty to 11 counts of indecency with or towards a child, and two counts of gross indecency with a child.

The other teacher, John Addrison, 54, from Slough in Berkshire, pleaded guilty to offences of indecent assault and indecency with a child and was sentenced to five years’ imprisonment at Aylesbury Crown Court in November 2012.

David Geddes, 71, from Upper Wield, Hampshire, was acquitted by a jury at a re-trial in March last year, after being charged with four counts of indecent assault on a child under 16.

A Thames Valley Police spokesman said: “A body, believed to be that of Hugh Henry, was struck by a train close to Amersham London Underground station on Tuesday February 4.

“Henry’s next of kin have been informed and the incident is being investigated by British Transport Police.”

A British Transport Police (BTP) spokeswoman said: “BTP officers were called to the line close to Amersham London Underground (LU) station on Tuesday February 4 after a report that a man had been struck by a train.

“Officers from BTP and Thames Valley Police attended the incident, which was reported to BTP at 6.27pm and is currently being treated as non-suspicious.

“Medics from the South Central Ambulance Service also attended but the man was pronounced dead at the scene.

“The man’s family have been informed and a file will be prepared for the coroner.”