CPS to consider ‘Plebgate’ evidence

0
Have your say

Evidence linked to the investigation into the “Plebgate” row has been passed to prosecutors.

The information from Scotland Yard was given to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) yesterday afternoon.

So far, three officers have been arrested as part of the investigation sparked by the row which led former Tory chief whip Andrew Mitchell to quit his Cabinet post following claims he called officers “plebs”. They include a 52-year-old from the Diplomatic Protection Group who was held on December 15 on suspicion of misconduct in public office and bailed until April.

Two 46-year-olds from the same command were held on January 31 and February 1 for allegedly passing information to the media and were bailed until May.

All three remain suspended. A 23-year-old man who does not work for the police was also arrested and bailed until May.

A CPS spokesman said: “We have received initial papers but we have not received a full file of evidence and we now await the conclusion of the police investigation before considering charges.”

The “Plebgate” row ignited when Mr Mitchell was accused of a heated rant against officers as he left Downing Street on September 19. Pressure intensified after The Daily Telegraph published a police log of the incident, which claimed he called officers “plebs” and swore at them repeatedly.

He insisted he did not use the words attributed to him, and later said he was the victim of a deliberate attempt to “toxify” the Tories and ruin his career.

An email from a civilian witness backing up the police account of events has also since been called into question.

Some 30 detectives have taken statements from all 800 officers in the DPG, which is tasked with protecting government officials. Scotland Yard is currently trying to find out how the Sun and Daily Telegraph obtained information about the “Plebgate” row.