Turn your home into a hair salon so you can style your own fabulously festive glamorous locks . Stephanie Smith shows you how.
if you fancy trying Cheryl Cole's mahogany shade but don't want to commit, Naturtint's new Reflex Non-Permanent Colour Rinse preserves the condition of hair by coating the strands rather than opening and damaging the cuticles, leaving rich, glossy colour for up to four weeks, It costs 9.99, stockists 0845 601 8129, www.naturesdream.co.uk
for full-on Hollywood curls, the Trevor Sorbie Professional Beautifully Glamorous Gift Set (20) has Beautiful Volume Thickening Shampoo and Leave-In Conditioner, Curl Constructor and Volume Booster to give you ultimate celebrity big hair style. At Boots stores, www.boots.com, Trevor Sorbie salons and from www.trevorsorbie.com
For a striking new party look, go for an up-do with the added glamour of curl. The high bun is a key look for Christmas, sported by the likes of Rebecca Ferguson in The X Factor.
Young Hairdresser of the Year finalist Joseph Ferraro, who recently worked with Henry Holland at London Fashion Week, has created this look, which works for long or shorter hair (if you add a hair piece).
Joseph, who runs hair salon Halo in Harrogate, says it might look tricky but it can be recreated at home – although, he adds, a professional hairdresser will be able to create a more polished finish.
Here is Joseph's step-by-step guide to creating the perfect party look:
1) After washing your hair, prep it with a volume styling spray such as Sebastian Volupt Spray (18.50) and blow dry it smooth with lots of root lift.
2) Carefully pull all your hair back into a high ponytail, securing in your hair piece if you are using one.
3) Using curling tongs, create curls through all the ponytail, then divide the ponytail into six sections.
4) Take each section of the hair, twist, and then pull small sections out to create a messy curl.
5) Pin in a large barrel curl. Work all six sections the same way around the head. Tease out small sections of hair around the temple and curl using tongs again. Spray with hairspray such as Sebastian Zero Gravity (14).
Halo is at Cheltenham Mount, Harrogate, check out the website at www.hahaha.co.uk or call 01423 524787 for an appointment.
It's been in The Body Shop stores for less than two weeks, but already the new special edition Sparkler has been selling out as many shoppers invest in two-at-a-time of this 10 multi-purpose wonder spray that adds a fine, glowing, shimmery powder to highlight the hair, face and body. Fortunately there's more in store now and on 01903 844 554
Throughout December Sassoon Salons are offering a free Cowshed candle, worth 28, when you buy any three products from the Sassoon Professional Finish range, including Spray Shine (14), Advanced Condition (13.40) and Motion Hold (11.175). The Leeds Sassoon salon is on Albion Street, tel: 0113 244 8813 or check out www.sassoon.com.