Widow and son of Sheffield new year murder victim in emotional appeal

Wife Saima Yasmeen Hussain with son Husnain, 12

Wife Saima Yasmeen Hussain with son Husnain, 12

0
Have your say

The heartbroken wife of a man murdered in Sheffield minutes before midnight on New Year’s Eve has released a picture of their 12-year-old son, in a bid to catch her husband’s killers.

Saima Yasmeen Hussain says she hopes releasing the picture of son Husnain Hussain will encourage people to come forward with information about the killers of Zabair Hussain.

Zabair Hussain (pictured) was killed in Sheffield on New Year's Eve

Zabair Hussain (pictured) was killed in Sheffield on New Year's Eve

Saima, who lives in Pakistan with Husnain, said: “The people who have wiped the smile from our innocent child should be caught and punished. Our hearts are broken.”

Saima, who married Zabair, 41, in 1999, said she and Husnain will fly to Sheffield as soon as possible to be with the rest of the family.

She said: “All of us are shattered by this tragedy. Our hearts are broken as Zabair’s other younger brother, Bobby, died of an infection just 11 months ago.”

Zabair was believed to have been “savagely assaulted” by a group of men before being hit by a car in Sheffield at around 11.20pm on December 31.

Brothers Zabair, left, and Bobby, right

Brothers Zabair, left, and Bobby, right

Despite attempts by paramedics to resuscitate him Zabair died a short time later.

Last night a 30-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder.

A 28-year-old man, previously arrested on suspicion of murder has been bailed, while a third man, aged 20, remains in custody on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving following the incident on Staniforth Road in the Darnall area of Sheffield.

Det Chief Inspector Steve Handley, who is leading the investigation, said officers are reviewing CCTV footage and speaking to potential witnesses.

He said: “We believe Mr Hussain may have been struck by a vehicle when he was injured on Staniforth Road, however, the focus of the investigation remains on identifying the men who savagely assaulted Mr Hussain beforehand.

“We have a number of positive leads which have come from the public and I would continue to urge anyone who may have any information relating to the incident to contact police.”

He added: “This investigation is a priority and we have the resources you would expect to establish what happened and ensure anyone responsible for this man’s death will face the full consequences of their actions.”

Anyone with any information is urged to contact South Yorkshire Police.

Back to the top of the page