A University student from Hull has died from meningitis.
Public health officials said it was a “tragic reminder” of how devastating the illness can be.
The University of Hull said their thoughts were with the student’s parents and friends.
Public Health England Yorkshire and the Humber said the cause of death was Meningococcal meningitis.
A bacterial form of meningitis, it is a serious infection of the thin lining that surrounds the brain and spinal cord.
Consultant in Communicable Disease Control Dr Nicholas Aigbogun said close contacts had been offered antibiotics as a precautionary measure.
He said: “It’s very important to stress that any possible health risk to others is low. The infection does not pass easily from person-to-person and, where cases of meningococcal disease occur, it is uncommon to see other linked cases.
“Close contacts of the case have been identified already and offered antibiotic treatment as a precautionary measure.
“As always, it’s crucial that we all stay alert to the signs and symptoms of the disease and take immediate action if infection is suspected. The disease progresses rapidly and so it is important to seek urgent medical help if there is any concern at all.”
Symptoms can include a high temperature, vomiting, severe headache and a stiff neck. A dislike of bright lights and a rash which does not fade when pressed are also symptomatic. The University of Hull said: “It is with deep sadness that we can confirm that one of our students has recently died.”