Driver who killed Bradford grandma was already on bail for car crime

Joseph Robinson faces a significant jail terms after   grandmother Mary Byrne was killed when a car smashed into the taxi she was in. Picture: Ross Parry Agency
Joseph Robinson faces a significant jail terms after grandmother Mary Byrne was killed when a car smashed into the taxi she was in. Picture: Ross Parry Agency
0
Have your say

A YOUNG driver who caused a horror crash which claimed the life of a Bradford grandmother was already on bail for another motoring offence, it was revealed today.

Joseph Robinson, 22, will be sentenced next month over the collision in April last year which led to 51-year-old Mary Byrne being thrown from a minicab and suffering fatal injuries outside her home in Mandale Road, Horton Bank Top.

Mary Byrne

Mary Byrne

Robinson, of Westminster Gardens, Clayton, Bradford, has already admitted causing Mrs Byrne’s death by dangerous driving after the BMW he was in smashed into the minicab, but it emerged during a hearing at Bradford Crown Court today/yesterday that he was already on bail for an offence of aggravated vehicle taking involving his father’s car.

That offence, which is understood to have taken place in December 2012, was dealt with in June last year with the imposition of a high intensity community order.

Judge John Potter, who will sentence Robinson on July 7, was told that when Robinson was on bail at the time of the fatal collision on April 20, but prosecutor Tim Capstick said it was unclear whether it was police or court bail.

The judge suggested that it looked as if Robinson was given court bail on March 15 and added:’’So whilst on bail and within just over a month he drove as he accepts in these proceedings.

Robinson’s barrister Nick Worsley confirmed that the vehicle involved in the aggravated taking offence belonged to Robinson’s father and the incident had involved damage being caused.

After today/yesterday’s short hearing Judge Potter extended Robinson’s current bail until his sentence next month and reminded him that his interim driving ban remained in force.

The judge also repeated his previous warning to Robinson that he faced a significant custodial sentence for what was a serious offence.

On Thursday a second driver 21-year-old Thomas Healey, of Brow Lane, Clayton, was found guilty by a jury of the same offence of causing death by dangerous driving.

Healey, who had no previous convictions, had been racing Robinson in a Ford Focus before the fatal collision and he will be sentenced alongside him next month.

Healey is also on bail and has been banned from driving in the meantime.