Ecstasy milkshake contributed to Leeds student’s death

0
Have your say

A TALENTED music student died after drinking an “ecstasy milkshake” at a Leeds party.

An inquest heard yesterday (October 26) that 19-year-old pianist Oliver Walton, who was studying at Leeds College of Music, became unwell after taking what was described as “a large amount” of MDMA powder in the drink on Friday.

Medics at Leeds General Infirmary pronounced him dead in the early hours of the following morning.

Coroner’s officer Daniel Stoker told the hearing that Mr Walton, who lived in a flat on Shaw Lane, Headingley, was at the party, which was attended by around 25 people, on the night of October 21.

Reading a statement, West Yorkshire coroner David Hinchliff said: “Mr Walton was using what is described as MDMA powder and was understood to have ingested a large amount of that in the form of a milkshake.”

Following that, the court heard Mr Walton became unwell and collapsed shortly before 2.30am on Oct 22.

An ambulance was called and he was rushed to hospital where he was pronounced dead at 3.45am.

A provisional post-mortem report gave his cause of death as hypovolemic shock – severe blood and fluid loss which makes the heart unable to pump enough blood to the body.

The use of MDMA was listed as a contributory cause.

Mr Walton, who was born in Nottingham and whose family live in the Derbyshire area, was identified by his father David.

His devastated mum Nicola, 49, said: “He was a perfectionist. He got distinctions in all of his gradings but on one occasion when he got a pass he wanted to redo the exam to get a better mark.”

Mr Walton was in his second year at Leeds and had applied to specialise in jazz piano.

Dad David, 50, said: “As soon as he walked into the music corridor he knew this was exactly where he wanted to be. The biggest sadness in my heart is that I will never hear him play again and the emptiness of not seeing any of his creativity.”

Professor Philip Meaden, Principal, Leeds College of Music added: “Leeds College of Music is saddened at the news of Oliver’s death and our thoughts are with his family, friends and fellow students during this difficult time. A talented musician, Oliver was a well liked student who will be fondly remembered by those he studied and performed alongside.”