The editors of The Times and The Sun have been recalled to give further evidence to the Leveson Inquiry after the police’s enquiries spread to the so-called ‘quality’ press for the first time.
It is understood Times editor James Harding will be asked about alleged email hacking at his paper when he returns on Tuesday next week.
Scotland Yard detectives are investigating claims that a Times journalist, named as Patrick Foster, accessed the email of Lancashire detective Richard Horton in 2009 to unmask him as the author of the anonymous NightJack blog.
Mr Harding told the inquiry on January 17 that one of his reporters was issued with a formal written warning for professional misconduct for gaining unauthorised access to an email account.
The editor provided Lord Justice Leveson with further evidence about the incident in a letter made public on January 25.
The inquiry has heard that The Times had fought a High Court battle to name Mr Horton as the writer of the NightJack blog after the reporter told his managers that he had tried to access an email account.
Sun editor Dominic Mohan, who told the inquiry last month that his paper could be a “powerful force for good”, has also been recalled to answer further questions next week.
Four current and former senior Sun journalists were arrested along with a serving Metropolitan Police officer over alleged police bribes at the weekend. All five men have been bailed.
The inquiry heard yesterday tha three of the UK’s largest mobile phone companies took at least five years to tell customers their voicemails had been hacked.
Vodafone, Orange and T-Mobile established that 156 people on their networks were hacking victims after News of the World royal editor Clive Goodman was arrested in August 2006.
But fears about prejudicing the police investigation meant that Orange and T-Mobile did not notify those affected until last July – and Vodafone told victims only last month.