The search is on for the best businesses in Yorkshire.
The Yorkshire Post today proudly launches its Excellence in Business Awards for 2017 as we seek to honour businesses of all kinds across a variety of categories recognising every aspect of Yorkshire diverse business offering.
This year sees us welcome back global law firm DLA Piper as sponsor for the companies turning over more than £50m again. We also welcome new sponsors Doncaster Sheffield Airport and Leeds Beckett University who will back the categories of Commercial Space and Entrepreneur respectively. CNG are also confirmed as table sponsors.
Mark Casci, business editor of The Yorkshire Post, said: “In these ever-changing and evolving times it is essential we celebrate and highlight the outstanding work that so many of our companies do. I look forward to viewing your entries very much.”
Allison Page, DLA Piper’s managing partner for Leeds, said: “DLA Piper are once again delighted to be sponsoring the awards and remain eager to engage with some of Yorkshire’s largest and most vibrant businesses. Each year the quality of the submissions improve exponentially which reflects the changing nature of Yorkshire’s business profile, with an increasing number of global businesses establishing themselves in the region.”
Entries are being welcomed in the following categories:
• Companies with a turnover over £50m. Sponsored by DLA Piper: This category honours the commercial giants which conduct business on a vast scale.
• Companies with a turnover between £10m and £50m: This award focuses on mid-tier firms which are the real powerhouse of the region’s economy.
• Companies with a turnover up to £10m: Our region has a world class collection of SMEs and it is here we honour them.
• Commercial space. Sponsored by Doncaster Sheffield Airport: Seeking inspiring uses of commercial space which showcase the real value of world class architects and designers. It can be a new build or an existing project.
“DLA Piper are once again delighted to be sponsoring the awards and remain eager to engage with some of Yorkshire’s largest and most vibrant businesses.”Allison Page, DLA Piper’s managing partner for Leeds
• Entrepreneur. Sponsored by Leeds Beckett: This award honours a rare individual who inspires others to greatness.
• Young Business: Focusing on rapidly growing businesses in our region.
• Outstanding Employer: This award recognises those employers that truly value their staff, and reward them in a sustainable way that nurtures the company.
• Exporter: The winner of this award is really helping to drive the export-led recovery. The winner might have moved into overseas markets before the competition.
• Technology: In this category, we are seeking a winner who harnesses technology to give their firm the edge. They are leaders, and not followers, in the technological arena.
• Turnaround: This award honours a business that is flourishing after coming back from the brink.
• Diversity: This honours companies that value every employee, and have gone beyond the call of duty to ensure they attract and retain a workforce that reflects the diversity of British society.
• Apprenticeship: Apprenticeships are staging a comeback, and the winner of this award has placed apprenticeships at the heart of its growth plans.
• Leadership: Nobody forgets a great leader, and this award honours an individual who has displayed courage, tenacity and wisdom in a tough role. This year’s event will return to the New Dock Hall at the Royal Armouries in Leeds and will take place on Thursday November 2.
Over the last decade the awards have attracted a host of high profile speakers, including former Prime Minister David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Alan Johnson, George Osborne and Ed Balls.
Last year’s event was hosted by former cabinet minister turned broadcaster Michael Portillo and saw JCT600 founder and chairman Jack Tordoff handed the Lifetime Award to a standing ovation from the crowd.
To enter click here