Wolds Diary: Losing voice after being centre of attention

Hornsea (PA1509-11b)
Hornsea (PA1509-11b)
Have your say

I HAVE certainly been out and about this week. In addition to early walks with the dogs I have now almost got the vegetable patch sorted and I have even started weeding the herb bed.

On the Monday I headed towards Hornsea. I’ve been there a couple of times before and rather like this charming seaside town. I wasn’t sure of the exact location where I was to be speaking so arrived very early and had a chance to explore.

I found the people there to be so friendly and in one charity shop I met a lady who was extremely knowledgeable about ties. I spotted a couple of items, a sculpture and a picture, both of sheep, at a very reasonable price.

The talk was to the Mothers’ Union at St Nicholas Church hall and they were an excellent audience who at the end bought out the few books I had with me.

When I got home I immediately hung the picture I’d acquired in my hall where all my sheep pictures are. My lodger commented that the sheep in this particular picture were apparently wearing balaclavas. When I really looked at it I could see just what he meant but it is a rather modern piece of art and I like it, however the sheep are dressed.

Then it was off to a rehearsal with the Pocklington Singers. We are fast arriving at our summer concert, which is to be at All Saints Church, Pocklington on Friday, June 26. I love the music we’re working on at the moment; Dvorjak Mass in D major and other beautiful pieces.

The next afternoon I was back in Hornsea again to talk to another group. I managed to donate a huge collection of carrier bags to the charity shop that had sold me the picture and then headed off to the Methodist Church, a very fine building and spoke to the University of the Third Age. Then I left to head off to yet another talk this time in Selby.

On the way I stopped off in Beverley, which I really like, did some shopping and then drove on. I think there must have been an accident somewhere because on the outskirts of Selby an ambulance and several other emergency vehicles rushed past and there was quite a hold up.

I arrived in plenty of time at the very modern Portholme Church at Selby where the friendship club was having its annual high tea. This was a real test of my resolve to stick to my diet but I managed to strike a compromise and then spoke to this lovely group of folk. Over the tea I had the pleasure of good company at my table who were great fun and very interesting.

By the time I got home that evening I was losing my voice. I felt tired, having clocked up quite a few miles. I spent the next day walking dogs and then gardening and generally taking some time out.

All the little baby birds that come and feed in my hedge are a terrific time waster for me. One sparrow mother is so maternal I have spotted that she feeds any baby bird, not just her own little ones.

Once again I went with a friend to dig compost from her friend’s farm for the garden. As my friend actually splashed manure liberally over me last time, I wore my caving over suit and wellies, but still required a bath when I got home.

On another morning I needed to return some music from one choir to the library in Hull and at the same time pick up some scores for another choir. A friend wanted to find out where you needed to take the music and came with me. He insisted on buying me a coffee once we had sorted the music out, and parked up for a couple of hours. I am full of admiration for the staff at Hull Central Library, not only are they very efficient but they are pleasant as well.

That evening I was at the first rehearsal of a choir for The Sorcerer – a Gilbert and Sullivan opera – that I had collected the scores for. It is many years since I sang in it, in my younger days, so I have to learn it all again.

I have been given some fleeces to spin this week and they are all now in my loft. Amongst them are Zwartbles-Texel Crosses that will make superb wool, and some beautiful Hebridean ones as well.