Father hits at bomber 'murder quiz' claims

Kate O'Hara Crime Correspondent THE father of one of the London suicide bombers has attacked claims that his son was questioned by murder detectives more than a year before the 7/7 terror attacks.

Shehzad Tanweer's father Mohammed Mumtaz Tanweer, a businessman from Beeston, told the Yorkshire Post there was absolutely no truth in reports that his son was quizzed by officers over the killing of teenager Tyrone Clarke in April 2004.

The Yorkshire Post has also learnt that an electronic tracking device found in a car used by the July 7 ringleader Mohammad Sidique Khan was planted after the attacks on the London transport network – not before as previously thought.

Security sources say Special Branch officers did place a device in Khan's car – but after 7/7, in an attempt to gather intelligence from his associates.

The tracking bug claims appeared in the Press at the weekend, just 24 hours after computer expert Martin Gilbertson claimed Tanweer was questioned by police in connection with the Tyrone Clarke murder.

Mr Gilbertson worked alongside Tanweer and Khan at an Islamic bookshop and a youth centre in Beeston, Leeds.

But speaking out for the first time since last year's bombings, Mr Tanweer Snr said: "That story is false. Everybody pretends they know what happened but most of the reports are just not true.

"It is as if people can say whatever they like because nobody will tell them otherwise, but there is no truth whatsoever in that. There seems to be nothing we can do to stop it."

Mr Gilbertson, 45, claims he tried to warn police about Khan and Tanweer's activities almost two years before the suicide attacks, and alleges that 16-year-old Tyrone, who was fatally stabbed in a street brawl in Beeston, was killed after he "insulted Islam".

Sources within West Yorkshire Police last night said neither Tanweer nor Khan was ever questioned in connection with the killing.

Mr Gilbertson also says he produced anti-western propaganda videos, secured websites and encrypted e-mails for Muslims at the Iqra bookshop and the Hamara Youth Action Project centre, both of which were raided by anti-terror officers after last July's attacks.

By October 2003, he says he was so alarmed by what he was producing in Beeston that he went to the local Holbeck police station. He claims he was told to post his material, and did so, to West Yorkshire Police's headquarters in Wakefield.

Mr Gilbertson claims he heard nothing until he was interviewed three times by two officers from the Metropolitan Police, having contacted them after the bombings.

West Yorkshire Police say they are unable to comment on specific actions arising from the material.