Gascoigne charged with two counts of assault

0
Have your say

Former England football star Paul Gascoigne has been charged with two counts of common assault following an incident at a railway station.

British Transport Police (BTP) said he had also been charged with being drunk and disorderly after answering bail yesterday.

A BTP spokesman said the charges against the 46-year-old related to an incident which occurred on July 4 at Stevenage rail station in Hertfordshire.

The former Newcastle United and Tottenham midfielder was arrested after officers were called to the station at about 10.30pm.

Confirming that Gascoigne has now been charged with three offences, Baljit Ubhey, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern CPS, said: “Following a BTP investigation, a file was forwarded to us to consider whether any criminal charges could be brought against the 46-year-old man.

“Having carefully reviewed all of the available evidence, Thames and Chiltern CPS authorised officers from BTP to charge the man with common assault and being drunk and disorderly.”

Gascoigne, who received treatment for alcoholism in an American clinic earlier this year, has been bailed to appear before magistrates in Stevenage on August 5.

Back to the top of the page