1. Telecoms affects every business - it’s your shop window for customers, your route to sales and your lifeline to suppliers. Give it the respect it deserves.
2. Enlist expert advice. SMEs have 101 things to worry about, but telecoms should be one of their top priorities. A professional and technologically-advanced solution can actually reduce hassle and save you money.
3. Don’t be put off by the jargon. Our industry is, unfortunately, full of it, so select an expert provider that cuts through the tech talk.
4. Tailor a solution to fit you. Business needs are different so business solutions need to be bespoke. Don’t believe those who tell you there are ‘one size fits all’ answers.
5. Analyse the data you hold to define your needs. You’d be surprised at the number of businesses that don’t use this invaluable asset and are on completely the wrong telecoms plan, often paying well over the odds.
6. Don’t be scared of ‘big data’. It has become a byword for hassle and inefficiency, but data is an opportunity, not a threat. The question should be: are we handling data efficiently?
7. Cloud technology is a bit of a gimmick. Information is still held at a physical datacentre, so ensure you work with a reputable data storage expert who has the right technology, security and backup procedures.
8. Don’t be one-of-a-million. Work with a provider that values you as a customer as much as you value their expertise.
9. Technology is advancing at a fast pace. Don’t get hung-up on old systems just because they’re familiar.
10. Never underestimate the value of a secure, reliable service. Getting telecoms right can be a daunting task for SMEs, but downtime can be excruciatingly damaging for business. Once you have a service you can trust, the peace-of-mind will be invaluable.