Grieving parents hit out as killer’s ‘privacy’ shielded

0
Have your say

A couple have been refused the right to know if their son’s killer has been allowed to stay in the UK.

The Home Office has told Wintworth and Lurline Deslandes they cannot be given the information about Saturday Hassan, who was given three life sentences last year for murdering their son Darren, 34, in order to protect the gunman’s privacy.

They believe Hassan, 31, formerly of Sydenham, south London, to be a foreign national but have been told he must agree to details of his immigration status being handed over to their MP because he is currently guarded under the Data Protection Act.

On Monday, Malcolm Wicks, MP for Croydon North, raised the matter in the House of Commons, describing the situation as “total nonsense”.

Hassan also shot Mr Deslandes’s brother Junior in the attack at a New Year’s party at the family’s pub in Croydon, south London, but he survived despite having three bullets in his head. Hassan was jailed for a minimum of 37 years after being found guilty of murder, attempted murder and a firearms charge.

The Old Bailey was told builder Hassan had been a man of good character but was attracted by the gangster lifestyle, driving a BMW 4x4 car and having a gun.

Mrs Deslandes, 57, said she wanted Hassan to be removed from the country. “He has killed someone. We are the victims and no one is there to protect us,” she added.

A UK Border Agency spokesman said: “Our immigration rules clearly state that a foreign national receiving a prison sentence of more than 12 months will automatically be considered for deportation.”