Health company fined £7,000 after worker loses finger in blender

0
Have your say

A COMPANY making health products has been fined £7,000 and ordered to pay £4,887.65 in costs after a worker severed a finger in a blending machine at its factory in East Yorkshire.

The man, who was working for Bee Health Ltd, had been using a ribbon blender to mix product ingredients unaware that a fixed guard underneath the machine had been removed along with a valve that needed a new part.

Magistrates in Bridlington heard another worker had taken the valve off to clean, but found it needed a new part so did not re-attach it. While the part was on order the blender continued to be operated with a plastic bag to collect the product.

The man’s right hand was caught in rotating blades several days later and his index finger had to be amputated, while he also suffered severe cuts and nerve damage to the middle finger.

The incident happened at Carnaby Industrial Estate, near Bridlington, in March last year and resulted in the firm being prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive.

The company, which is registered at George Street, Wakefield, pleaded guilty to two safety breaches.

Back to the top of the page