‘Hell’ over for hacking-probe journalist

0
Have your say

The former deputy editor of the News of the World has been told he will face no action over phone-hacking allegations.

Neil Wallis, who has spent nearly two years on police bail, will not face prosecution because there is insufficient evidence.

He said on Twitter: “After 21 months of hell for my family, CPS have just told my solicitors that there will be no prosecution of me re my phone-hacking arrest.”

Prosecutors said yesterday that there was insufficient evidence to bring charges against a journalist arrested under Operation Weeting.

Wallis was arrested in July 2011 on suspicion of conspiracy to intercept communications.

In a statement yesterday, Alison Levitt QC, principal legal adviser to the Director of Public Prosecutions, said prosecutors had been considering whether to bring charges against two journalists over alleged phone hacking.

She said: “The file in relation to one of those two journalists was resubmitted on January 11, 2013. Having carefully considered the matter, the Crown Prosecution Service has concluded that there is insufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction in relation to that journalist. The other journalist remains under investigation.”

So far, 26 people have been arrested as part of Operation Weeting, Scotland Yard’s investigation into illegal access to voicemails, and another six as part of a separate line of inquiry that came out of the probe.

Of those, eight are facing charges over alleged phone hacking – ex-News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks, former spin doctor Andy Coulson, private detective Glenn Mulcaire and five other former NotW staff.

They are ex-managing editor Stuart Kuttner, former news editor Greg Miskiw, former head of news Ian Edmondson, ex-chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck and former reporter James Weatherup.

Back to the top of the page