I won’t put up with racism in the Met insists force chief

0
Have your say

Britain’s top policeman has warned he would not put up with “racism or racists” as he vowed to get to the bottom of “very damaging” allegations against his force.

Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe spoke out after footage emerged of one officer apparently racially abusing a man and another allegedly assaulting a black teenager last summer.

In a statement to staff, the police chief said: “I wanted to take this opportunity to clearly and categorically reiterate that there is no place for racism in the Met.”

Both incidents happened on August 11 last year as police officers in London after the riots.

Mr Hogan-Howe told staff: “I know that the Met has changed greatly over the years, and most of you have directly been involved in improving our relationship with all Londoners and those who visit us.

“Unfortunately just one alleged incident like this can be very damaging to public confidence.”

He added: “We have a duty to challenge or report any behaviour by colleagues which is less than the high standard demanded by the service and Londoners themselves. You cannot avoid that duty. Nor can I.

“I will not stand for any racism or racists in the Met.”

Pc Alex MacFarlane of the Metropolitan Police has been suspended after being recorded calling a suspect a “n*****”.

The arrested man, named as Mauro Demetrio, 21, from Beckton, east London, was arrested on suspicion of drug driving but no action was taken.

He recorded the abuse on his mobile phone.

Another officer, reportedly with Pc MacFarlane when Mr Demetrio was abused, was put on restricted duties after being allegedly seen on CCTV kicking a 15-year-old boy to the ground and kneeing him in the custody area of a police station. An independent investigation into the alleged assault on the teenager ended last week.

A Metropolitan Police Spokesman said: “We have now received their findings and recommendations which we will consider and respond to.”