Journalist suspended in phone hack probe

A senior Sunday newspaper journalist has been suspended over phone hacking claims involving the actress Sienna Miller.

News of the World executive Ian Edmondson is understood to have been suspended on full pay after the latest claims emerged.

A document lodged in the High Court links Edmondson with the interception of voicemail messages from the phones of Miller and her partner, the actor Jude Law.

Solicitor Mark Thomson has said paperwork and other records seized by police from private investigator Glenn Mulcaire implied Edmondson was linked to the hacking.

Mulcaire and former News of the World Royal Editor Clive Goodman were jailed in January 2007 after they admitted intercepting messages.

Earlier last month, the Director of Public Prosecutions confirmed no further charges will be brought over the scandal because witnesses refused to co-operate with police.

Keir Starmer QC said its former reporter Sean Hoare made claims in a New York Times article about former editor Andy Coulson, who is now the Prime Minister's communications chief.

But Mr Hoare refused to comment when questioned by police while other witnesses "either refused to co-operate with the police investigation, provided short statements which did not advance matters or denied any knowledge of wrongdoing".

Mr Coulson was editor of the News of the World in 2007 when Mr Goodman was jailed for conspiracy to access phone messages involving Princes William and Harry and has always denied any knowledge of the practice.

The newspaper has also repeatedly denied the practice was widespread.