Legal bid to stop waste burner fails

0
Have your say

Work is due to resume on a 
multi-million-pound incinerator in the heart of the countryside after a legal bid to halt its construction was thrown out.

Cornwall Council says the building of the energy from waste plant will resume on Monday, after a legal campaign funded by local residents earned a temporary reprieve.

Workers building a link road to the site, in St Dennis near the Eden Project, were forced to down tools several months ago.

The objectors said the plant, designed to handle Cornwall’s domestic waste, would ruin the natural landscape of the area, and risk the health of local residents.

But last month the Supreme Court refused permission for the St Dennis Branch of the Cornwall Waste Forum to challenge the Court of Appeal’s decision to reinstate the planning permission for the plant. Cornwall Council has now confirmed work would begin on the site on Monday.

Ken Rickard, of the St Dennis branch of the Cornwall Waste Forum, said residents remained committed to fighting the incinerator plans.

He said: “We will conduct ourselves properly and behave democratically, so we will not be doing anything to disrupt building works on Monday.

“But as far as we are concerned, this fight is not over yet. There are still options we are looking at.

Sita UK signed a 30-year contract in 2006 with the then-Cornwall County Council to handle waste.