Life term given to killer who beheaded teen

Have your say

A KILLER who beheaded his teenage girlfriend with a kitchen knife has been handed a life sentence after he was found guilty of murder.

Aras Hussein was told he will serve a minimum term of 20 years for what police described as a “fatal, frenzied knife attack” on 18-year-old Sheffield City College student Reema Ramzan. Hussein, 21, was found with a self-inflicted stab wound to his chest by a member of the public in the Shirecliffe area of Sheffield on June 4.

Reema Ramzan. Picture: Ross Parry Agency

Reema Ramzan. Picture: Ross Parry Agency

When police arrived at the scene, they searched Hussein’s property on Herries Road and found the beheaded body of Miss Ramzan, who was described as an “outstanding” and “extremely dedicated” student. During the trial of Hussein at Sheffield Crown Court, the jury was told Miss Ramzan was still alive when her boyfriend started to cut off her head with a knife.

A jury yesterday found him guilty of murder and Hussein was given the life sentence with the minimum 20-year term. He had previously admitted the killing on the grounds of diminished responsibility but denied murder.

In a statement released after the sentencing, Miss Ramzan’s family said: “Since the death of Reema, nothing is the same anymore.

“We miss her every single day and not a moment goes by that we do not think of her. Words cannot describe the pain we feel not having her here.

“Reema was not just a beautiful girl to look at, she was a beautiful girl inside; so kind and helpful, she was always smiling and we loved her so much. We couldn’t have wished for a more loving and caring daughter and sister.

“We don’t think we will ever be able to get over losing Reema and we just wish we could have her back, just one more time, to hold her and be able to say goodbye.

“We are devastated by what has happened, Reema was such a special person in our lives and the hole that has now been left in our hearts will never be filled.

“We would like to thank everyone for their support and the kind words and messages people have offered us; it means so much and we know Reema would have been touched by knowing everyone loved her and thought so much about her.”

Hussein was taken to hospital for his injuries after being arrested and was later charged with the murder of Miss Ramzan.

Police say his mental health has been an ongoing factor in the case following his transfer from prison to Rampton Secure Hospital in Nottinghamshire in July. He was deemed fit to stand trial at a court hearing in March.

During the trial, prosecutor Graham Reeds QC told jurors about the wounds Miss Ramzan suffered at the hands of her Iraqi-born boyfriend.

He said: “Bruising into tissue wounds suggest that Reema was still alive as the defendant started to remove her head.

The process of decapitation would require considerable motion with corresponding considerable force which needed to be sustained until all the tissues had been cut through. Force would also be needed to restrain the victim who is likely to have been struggling.”

Detective Superintendent Phil Etheridge, who led the South Yorkshire Police investigation, said: “Reema was a kind and considerate young woman who had a bright and promising future to look forward to.

“Regrettably, her life was taken far too soon and in such tragic circumstances.

“This has been a difficult investigation however I am satisfied with the verdict today and I hope it provides some form of closure for Reema’s family.”