Sheffield church murder: Police issue CCTV

Waiting for Video...

POLICE investigating the murder of a church organist who died after he was attacked in Sheffield on Christmas Eve say they still do not know why he was killed.

Detectives admitted they have not established a motive for the murder of lay preacher Alan Greaves, who died after being attacked on his way to midnight mass in High Green, Sheffield.

Detective Superintendent Matt Fenwick was speaking as he released CCTV footage of two men his officers want to speak to.

The footage was captured on a camera near the scene shortly before the incident, Mr Fenwick said.

The 68-year-old grandfather was making his way to St Saviour’s Church from his home a few hundred yards away when he was subjected to the brutal attack.

He died from severe head injuries three days later.

Speaking at a press conference in Rotherham, the detective said: “I still have not established a motive for the attack. Alan retains all his property. Nothing is missing and my inquiry remains very open in relation to identifying a possible motive for this attack.”

Mr Fenwick said there was nothing in the victim’s personal life which would point to a motive.

He said more than 50 officers are working on the case.

Mr Fenwick said the two people in the footage “may be able to assist us with our inquiries.”

He said: “If you are either of these two people shown on the footage then please contact the incident room as soon as you can.

“If you know, or can identify either of these two people, please pick up the phone and tell us what you know.

“I am absolutely convinced that someone out there knows what has happened to Alan Greaves.

“I am absolutely convinced that someone will look at this footage and know who these people are - a mum, a dad, a brother, a sister, another relative, a close friend.

“Alan Greaves deserves your help. Alan Greaves’s family deserves your help. Please make that call.”

The detective said: “Alan was a loving, caring, husband, father and grandfather who was well-loved and respected by all who knew him.”

Two men have been arrested in connection with Mr Greaves’s murder and bailed pending further inquiries.

Today, Mr Fenwick said the people featured in the CCTV footage are not anyone who has been arrested so far by the investigation team.

He said he could not be too specific about exactly where the footage was taken but he said it was within hundreds of yards of the scene of the attack.

The detective said it was “just before” the incident.

Mr Fenwick said no weapon has been recovered. He said he was confident a weapon was used to attack Mr Greaves but could not say what it was.

And he rejected any suggestion the investigation might have got off to a slow start because it happened at Christmas.

He said there had been no problems assembling an investigation team as would be normal in any murder investigation and added: “People can’t give enough time to try and assist this investigation. We had no problem or difficulty at all.”

Last week independent charity Crimestoppers put up a £10,000 reward to help find those responsible for Mr Greaves’s death.

The reward will be available to anyone providing information to Crimestoppers leading to the arrest and conviction of any person or persons responsible for Mr Greaves’s death.

At a service after her husband’s death, Mr Greaves’s widow Maureen said she had wept over the “evil that has been done”.

She told the congregation of St Saviour’s she had felt their love and support since her husband died.




Back to the top of the page