DCSIMG

Pensioner killed in fire caused by overheated wheat bag

A CORONER has warned of the dangers of overheating wheat bags following the death of a pensioner in a house fire caused by one that had been warmed too long in the microwave.

Doreen Ghiloni, 82, used her wheat bag as a hot water bottle, heating it up before placing it in her bed.

But an inquest was today told a bag that had been heated for too long in the microwave set fire to her bedding.

The pensioner was rescued from her burning Leeds home by a neighbour but died later that day.

West Yorkshire coroner David Hinchliff today said he would write to British Standards safety chiefs to highlight concerns over the use of the bags.

He recorded a verdict that Mrs Ghiloni died as a result of misadventure.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page