Man and boy killed by chip-pan fire

A man and a young boy died after a house fire caused by a chip pan left unattended on a cooker.

West Midlands Ambulance Service said both victims were confirmed dead shortly after their arrival at hospital following the blaze in the Lower Stoke area of Coventry on Tuesday night.

An ambulance service spokesman said three ambulances and a paramedic officer were sent to the property in Hollis Road after several 999 calls at about 11.50pm.

The spokesman said: "On arrival, firefighters were bringing the two patients out of the smoke-filled house.

"As further crews were only seconds away, the first decided to leave the scene immediately with the child to take him to University Hospital in Coventry.

"While the crew worked on the child, a firefighter drove the ambulance."

Both victims were in cardiac arrest when they were rescued and fire crews also attempted to resuscitate the adult victim.

"Sadly, despite the best efforts of fire, ambulance and hospital staff, it was not possible to save either the man or the boy," the spokesman added.

Group Commander Mick Birch said: "The incident involved an unattended chip pan left on a cooker, which sadly has resulted in an adult male and a male child dying from smoke inhalation.

"West Midlands Fire Service are keen to remind people that chip pans should never be left unattended."