Man hospitalised after home-made firework horror in Sheffield

.
.
0
Have your say

A man was taken to hospital with burns to his hands, after an attempt to make and light his own homemade firework went horribly wrong.

Crews from South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue’s Central station attended the incident on Mount Street, Sheffield just before 8.30pm last night.

The right way to do it: Firefighters have issued a warning over home-made fireworks and urged people to stick to enjoying  legal and safe fireworks

The right way to do it: Firefighters have issued a warning over home-made fireworks and urged people to stick to enjoying legal and safe fireworks

The man, who is in his 20s, had been attempting to make fireworks on the balcony of his third floor flat, before one set off and set his curtains ablaze.

The blaze spread to his living room before firefighters wearing breathing apparatus arrived to put it out using a hose reel.

Fire officers have now issued a warning against similar attempts, and they say the man was lucky not to be more seriously injured or worse.

Station manager Chris Mee, said: “This behaviour could easily have resulted in a far more serious incident and someone potentially losing their life.

“It shouldn’t need me to remind people that fireworks should only ever be bought from a reputable retailer, meet current safety standards and only ever be set off in a safe, outdoor environment.“