Firefighters were called to the home of Manchester United and England defender Chris Smalling after his hot tub caught fire.
An electrical fault may have led to a blaze in the garden of the player’s home in Bowdon, Altrincham.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said a crew from Altrincham Fire Station had attended after police initially reported the blaze.
It added: “There was nobody in the house at the time of the incident.”
Watch manager Stuart France said: “Police were in the area when they spotted smoke and reported a fire to our control centre. When we arrived it was quite a large fire involving a Jacuzzi and decking, which could have easily become something more serious.
“The police officers who were at the scene used a garden hose on the fire and when we arrived we extinguished it using a hose reel.
“The most likely cause was an accidental electrical fault.”
Smalling, 25, had earlier posted a message and photograph on his Instagram account suggesting he was enjoying a poker night with friends.
It read: “Lads Night! #pokernight #championsleague.”