INVESTIGATIONS were continuing last night into the deaths of husband and wife in a suspected suicide pact.
The couple, named locally as Brian and Sharon Hainsworth, were found dead at their home in Woodhall Road, Calverley, Leeds, yesterday morning.
It is believed Mr and Mrs Hainsworth, who were parents, died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning at their terraced cottage, which backs onto Woodhall Hills Golf Club. Police have not confirmed they took their own lives, but it is understood officers are treating the case as a suspected double suicide.
No-one else is being sought in relation to the incident.
Mr Hainsworth, 64, and his 57-year-old wife, had been tenants at the cottage, which is owned by the golf club, for more than five years.
Mark Romans, club manager, said yesterday they could not have died as a result of accidental poisoning.
“Gas safety checks were recently carried out at the property,” he said.
Mr Romans said the couple had seemed happy and there had never been any problems with their tenancy. “As far as tenants, they were fantastic,” he said. “They never missed a payment.
“They didn’t seem to have any problems.”
He said Mrs Hainsworth, with whom he had most contact, was very nice, adding: “She would always smile and stop for a chat with you.”
He added: “Everyone at Woodhall Hills Golf Club would like to pass on our sincere condolences and best wishes to their family and friends.”
Paramedics were called to the house after the couple were found at about 8.30am yesterday.
Firefighters from Idle Fire Station then attended because of concerns about the presence of gas. Police set up a cordon outside the cottage, allowing only neighbours access, and forensics experts were called in to examine the property.
A West Yorkshire Police spokesman said: “Enquiries into the full circumstances are continuing, but police are not looking for anyone else in connection with the deaths.”