New owner’s mission to cherish treasure house

0
Have your say

A 19th century building which earned a place in an influential book about architectural treasures has gained a new owner.

The Sheffield-based property agency Commercial Property Partners (CPP) has advised on the acquisition of Grade II landmark offices in the Sheffield suburb of Broomhill.

CPP acted for a local private investor, who bought The Mount in Glossop Road, Broomhill, for an undisclosed seven-figure sum. The Mount was once used as the headquarters for General Accident and Norwich Union, before being let to its current tenants the NHS and Voice Marketing.

Rob Darrington, a partner with CPP, said: “The Mount is an extremely attractive and elegant building, featuring a campus-style complex of two substantial buildings set within their own grounds. It comprises 39,000 sq ft of quality office space, with ancillary storage and car parking.

“The building was originally a terrace of eight houses, constructed in about 1830, by the local architect, William Flockton, with a design following a trend set in London’s Regent Park, which saw the construction in the style of a county mansion, but in fact contained several genteel dwellings.

“The Mount is mentioned in Nikolaus Pevsner’s seminal work The Buildings of England and is a very significant part of Sheffield’s architectural heritage. It will be cherished accordingly. The freeholders of The Mount got into difficulties and ultimately went into receivership.

“This presented an excellent investment opportunity for our client, who is determined to ensure the heritage building is preserved and enhanced for the future.”