Newcastle striker banned for speeding

0
Have your say

Newcastle United striker Demba Ba has been banned from driving for six months after he was caught speeding twice.

The Senegal international was banned by South East Northumberland Magistrates Court after failing to provide details to the police of who was driving his car when it was twice caught speeding, court officials said.

The 27-year-old failed to attend court at two previous hearings as well as the sentencing.

Northumbria Police wrote to Ba in November last year asking him to confirm who was driving his car by December 13. He failed to do so and was charged with failing to supply driver information.

He was originally given six penalty points, fined £1,000 and told to pay £85 costs and £15 victim surcharge but it was then realised he already had six points on his licence and the case was reopened.

He was asked to attend court on August 1 but failed to appear.

The court has now banned him from driving for six months and re-imposed the original penalty, fine and costs. Ba was given 14 days to pay.

Newcastle United declined to comment on the case.