A SUSPICIOUS package sent to the University of Colorado may have come from the former student accused of the Batman movie massacre in which 12 people died and 58 others were wounded.
The University of Colorado, Denver said the package was immediately investigated and turned over to authorities within hours of its delivery on Monday.
Its discovery, which led to buildings being evacuated, comes amid reports the shooting suspect told investigators to look for the package which described killing people.
Fox News claims the notebook sent by James Holmes to the university had sat in the post room unopened since at least July 12, until it was found on Monday.
In its statement, the university disputed that it received the package on July 12 but did not elaborate.
Fox News said the notebook contained drawings of stick figures being shot and a written description of an upcoming attack.
The package containing it was addressed to a psychiatrist at the school, its website reported. It was unclear if Holmes, 24, had had any previous contact with the person.
The FBI and other law enforcement agencies refused to confirm the reports.
The University of Colorado, Denver issued a statement saying it could not discuss any aspects of the investigation.
It said, however, that packages to the main post room of the Anschutz Medical Campus, where Holmes studied on its neuroscience programme until he quit on June 10, are not tracked unless the US Postal Service requires a signature upon delivery.
Police had already revealed that Holmes received more than 50 packages at the school and his home that apparently contained ammunition, combat gear and explosive materials that he is said to have used in the attack and to booby-trap his Aurora apartment.
Residents yesterday had their first day back in their homes following the evacuation last week when police discovered Holmes’s apartment was rigged to explode. An official said he had booby-trapped his apartment with more than 30 homemade grenades and 10 gallons of petrol.
Holmes is due back in court next Monday.
Members of the public have contributed almost $2m dollars (£1.3m) to help the victims, including the Warner Bros. studio that released the movie. But it is not clear how much of that money will cover medical expenses.
Some families of those remaining in hospital have launched online appeals to help raise the money to cover treatment costs, and three of the five hospitals treating victims said they will limit or completely wipe out medical bills.
An unknown number face a long recovery and the associated medical costs without health insurance.