Patents evacuated after chemical spill at Harrogate Hospital

Harrogate District Hospital
Harrogate District Hospital
0
Have your say

PATIENTS and visitors were being evacuated from Harrogate District hospital this morning after a chemical spill.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said crews were at the scene dealing with the incident.

A spokesman said two firefighters wearing gas tight suits were entering the building to assess the severity of the spill.

About 100 patients, visitors and staff were evacuated as firefighters tackled fumes caused by the spill in the endoscopy unit shortly before 9am.

The spill involved a drum containing peracetic acid which had now been made safe, the fire service said.

No-one was injured or affected by the chemical and inpatients remained on wards, an NHS trust spokesman said.

Phillip Marshall, Director of Workforce and Organisational Developemt, said the spillage involved a substance used in the decontamination process of clinical equipment in the endoscopy department.

He added: “There were minor delays to outpatients appointments and as a precaution operations were briefly delayed in our Day Surgery Unit.

“The substance was removed to a secure part of the hospital site and further measures were taken involving a specialist agency to ensure that it could be safely disposed.”

The hospital was reopened at 10.30am.