Police to investigate claims of Nigella’s drugs use

0
Have your say

A SPECIALIST team of police investigators have been drafted in to review TV cook Nigella Lawson’s admission that she took cocaine.

The 53-year-old “Domestic Goddess” revealed during the fraud trial of her two former assistants, Elisabetta and Francesca Grillo, that she took the class A drug with her late husband John Diamond when he found out he had terminal cancer, and in July 2010 when she claimed she was being “subjected to intimate terrorism” by her former husband, Charles Saatchi.

Nigella Lawson

Nigella Lawson

Scotland Yard said on Friday that officers would not look into the issue at this stage, but the force would review the decision if new evidence came to light. But in a statement released last night, the force revealed a specialist team will “examine the evidence emerging as part of a review into this matter”.

Scotland Yard’s statement said: “As we said, should any evidence come to light that can be investigated further, we will review this decision. A specialist team from the MPS will nevertheless examine all the evidence emerging as part of a review into this matter and in conjunction with the Crown Prosecution Service, will determine an appropriate way forward.”

Ms Lawson claimed yesterday that she had “toughened up” in the past year. In a statement issued by her publicist Mark Hutchinson, she added: “I will survive this and move forward. I just want to focus on family life and work.”

Meanwhile, the Grillo sisters, who were cleared of fraud on Friday following a trial at Isleworth Crown Court, are planning to sue Ms Lawson and Mr Saatchi for defamation and damage to their reputation following their acquittal, it was claimed.

The Italian sisters had been accused of using company credit cards, spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on designer goods for themselves while working as personal assistants to the celebrity couple. They claimed every purchase had been approved by their then-bosses.