Pubs warned about eating contest dangers

0
Have your say

A CORONER is warning pubs about the dangers of holding eating competitions after a contestant choked to death on a boiled egg.

Sharon Dixon, 54, was taking part in the egg-eating contest to celebrate Easter when she collapsed at the Wellington Arms pub in Grimsby.

Staff tried to perform the Heimlich manoeuvre but Ms Dixon died in hospital two days later from a lack of oxygen to her brain, an inquest into her death heard.

North Lincolnshire and Grimsby Coroner Paul Kelly is now planning to write to the licensing officer for North East Lincolnshire Council to warn of the dangers of pubs and bars holding eating competitions involving people who have been drinking.

Mr Kelly recorded a verdict that Ms Dixon, of Grimsby, died as a result of an accident.

Back to the top of the page