‘Rape’ in Barnsley underpass did not take place, say police

A heavy police presence in Barnsley town centre for the right-wing protest after the alleged rape
A heavy police presence in Barnsley town centre for the right-wing protest after the alleged rape
0
Have your say

Detectives investigating reports of a 13-year-old girl being raped in an underpass in Barnsley have now concluded that no offence took place.

The girl told officers she was attacked in an underpass near the Alhambra centre on June 7.

But inquiries into the alleged incident established that the girl had not been attacked.

Detective Chief Inspector Chris Singleton said: “We have had a dedicated team of officers working on this inquiry since early June to ensure a full and comprehensive investigation was carried out.

“This included officers spending more than 100 hours viewing CCTV footage and conducting more than 20 witness interviews.

“These investigations have led us to the conclusion that no offence occurred in the timeframe or circumstances detailed to us.

“Whilst we are confident this incident didn’t occur we will work with our partner agencies to ensure that the complainant receives all of the support she needs as at the heart of this is a child who requires support.”

Last month, members of a right-wing protest group vowed to ‘keep communities safe’ after they marched through Barnsley town centre in response to the alleged rape.

The South Yorkshire Casuals joined other members of right-wing groups such as the English Volunteer Force and the English Defence League on the march, attended by 100 people.