The father of one of three men killed during last summer’s riots has revealed that lawyers have been instructed to review a criminal trial which saw eight men cleared of murder – leaving the victims’ families in “utter shock and despair”.
Haroon Jahan and brothers Shazad Ali and Abdul Musavir died after being hit by a Mazda car as they tried to protect shops in Winson Green, Birmingham, from looters last August.
Eight men were accused of murdering the three friends in a “modern day chariot charge” but were acquitted by a jury last Thursday, following a lengthy trial at Birmingham Crown Court.
Haroon’s father Tariq Jahan, who made an emotional plea for calm just hours after the deaths, said: “The community did not let us down. The law however, has.”
He added: “Our sense of disappointment and regret over this verdict cannot be stated in words.”
Talking to journalists yesterday, Mr Jahan spoke of his disappointment that no-one had been held responsible the deaths.
He said: “To our utter shock and despair, on Thursday 19 July, the jury acquitted all eight men. This is no answer for us.
“It simply means that no one has been held accountable for what happened.
“Whilst the accused celebrated and showered themselves in champagne, we bathed in tears of pain and sorrow.
“Our grieving continues.”
Mr Jahan added: “We are no longer able to trust the criminal justice system to provide the answers we so desperately need.
“We have therefore instructed lawyers to review the criminal trial and the events that led to the death of our sons.
“We will not rest until the people responsible for the deaths of Haroon, Shazad and Musavir have been brought to justice and we are able to get the answers we need to be able to grieve in peace.
“We will not let our sons down.”