Savile probe detectives pass second file to CPS

0
Have your say

Police have given prosecutors a file of evidence on a second suspect arrested by detectives investigating the Jimmy Savile abuse scandal.

Information on accusations against a man in his 70s who was arrested in Cambridgeshire on November 11 was given to the Crown Prosecution Service on Wednesday.

This is the second file that has been passed to prosecutors. The other relates to a man in his 60s who was held in London on December 10.

Prosecutors have been in close contact with detectives working on Operation Yewtree, the national investigation prompted by the Jimmy Savile abuse scandal, and have given “early investigative advice” in relation to five other suspects.

So far 11 people have been arrested as part of the inquiry, including former pop star Gary Glitter, comedians Freddie Starr and Jim Davidson, DJ Dave Lee Travis and PR guru Max Clifford.

They all deny any wrongdoing.

Travis and Davidson were 
both re-arrested when they answered bail over further allegations that had been made against them.

On Wednesday Davidson’s solicitor Henri Brandman issued a statement repeating the 59-year-old performer’s denials of the claims.

He said: “Several women have made allegations in respect of Jim that date back on average 20 years, one dating back 35 years.

“The complainants were all adults at the time of the alleged events. Jim vigorously denies the allegations.

“He answered police questions as fully as he is able after this passage of time.”

Earlier this month Travis also spoke out to say that his “conscience is clear”.

Speaking outside his home in Bedfordshire, the 67-year-old said: “The last four months have been extraordinary. Allegations which I strongly deny have been put to me by the police and to which I have given full and complete answers. I have fully co-operated and my conscience is clear.”