Schoolgirl’s quick-thinking stopped fire from spreading

0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS have commended a schoolgirl after her quick thinking prevented a fire spreading at her home in Rotherham.

Seven-year-old Giorgia Hansel-Hides, from Kiveton Park, had been taught by South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue (SYFR) at school about the importance of closing doors in the home to prevent the spread of fires.

Her careful actions following the visit meant that, when a fire was sparked by a candle left burning in the lounge, her bedroom was the only room not to suffer from “significant” smoke damage.

Giorgia has now been presented with a certificate from firefighters and South Yorkshire Police’s community safety department, in recognition of “excellent fire safety awareness, preventing the spread of fire in the home”.

Andrea Hansel-Hides, Giorgia’s mother, said: “We are very proud of Giorgia. After the school visit by SYFR, she was full of enthusiasm for what she had learnt and put that into practice in the home.

“I would certainly encourage parents to take precautionary messages on board because this sort of thing really can happen to anyone.

“If Giorgia had not made sure her bedroom door was closed that day, the damage to our home could have been much worse. ”

Diane Malpass, from the fire service, added: “Fortunately, no one was injured in the fire, but Giorgia’s actions demonstrate how important it is to educate people in precautions that they can take in the home to prevent fires starting or spreading.”