Student Danny Webster got the shock of his life as he took a break from GCSE revision to film Monday's thunderstorms and got struck by lightning.
The 16-year-old, of Richmond Hill, Leeds, was filming the torrential downpours from his bedroom window when his camcorder was struck, throwing him backwards onto the bed. He had plugged it into the wall socket, which he believes saved his life. He said: "It went through me and into the house electrics, but the circuit breakers cut out. It saved my life because the lightning couldn't earth."
The sudden thunderstorm at about 2pm on Monday saw lightning hit structures across the city, including traffic lights and train tracks.
The teenager is a pupil at the David Young Community Academy, in Seacroft.