‘Threats’ to BBC chief, reportedly linked to decision to axe Clarkson

Jeremy Clarkson. Anthony Devlin/PA Wire
Jeremy Clarkson. Anthony Devlin/PA Wire
0
Have your say

Police are investigating threats to kill BBC director-general Tony Hall, reportedly linked to his decision to axe Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson.

Scotland Yard confirmed it was looking into allegations made on Wednesday, when Hall confirmed he would not be renewing Clarkson’s contract because of his unprovoked attack on producer Oisin Tymon at a North Yorkshire hotel.

It has been reported that the director-general and wife Cynthia had been under 24-hour guard since the threat was received.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: “Police in Westminster are investigating an allegation of threats to kill. The allegation was reported to police on Wednesday March 25. Inquiries continue. No arrests have been made.”

Mr Hall, former chief executive of the Royal Opera House, took over the £450,000 BBC post in April 2013 to replace George Entwistle, who left the corporation in the wake of the Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal.

On Wednesday Mr Hall announced that Clarkson, a popular but divisive figure during his time at the hugely successful BBC Two motoring show, would not be retained, saying “a line has been crossed” and that “there cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another.”

Mr Tymon had his lip split by Clarkson in a 30-second assault on March 4 and took himself to hospital with his injuries. He was also shouted at by the former Top Gear presenter in a torrent of verbal abuse.

Clarkson reported the incident to the BBC five days later and was suspended by the broadcaster on March 10.

A BBC spokeswoman said: “We wouldn’t comment on security matters.”

The 54-year-old presenter punched Mr Tymon and subjected him to a barrage of verbal abuse in an exchange at Simonstone Hall Hotel, in Hawes, on March 4.