A COUPLE whose son died when a television set fell on him are holding an event to raise awareness of dangers in the home.
Riley Cooke was just 15 months old when he died from his injuries after climbing on a drawer to try to turn on the television, which fell on top of him.
Since the tragedy nine years ago, his parents Steve and Cheryl have been urging parents to identify danger areas in their homes and make them safe.
Steve said: “It has taken Cheryl and me a long time to come to terms with Riley’s death.
“The TV was on top of a chest of drawers and we thought it was safe because little hands couldn’t reach it.
“We were right, they couldn’t reach it but Riley climbed on the open bottom drawer to try and switch it on and in that split second, our lives were shattered.”
Steve said parents of youngsters fit locks on cupboards and use gates may ignore seemingly innocuous objects – the electrical cord of a kettle or a blind near a child’s bed. The fun day is at West Park, Goole, between 10am and 4pm, on July 14. Proceeds will go to Scunthorpe Hospital’s Disney Ward and the special care baby unit at York District Hospital.