troll ‘made
rape threat
to Labour female MP’

Have your say

A “Twitter troll” bombarded a Labour MP with a series of abusive messages after a successful campaign to feature Jane Austen on the £10 note, a court heard.

Peter Nunn, 33, retweeted “menacing” messages threatening to rape Walthamstow MP Stella Creasy and branding her a “witch”, it is alleged.

He launched his campaign of “hatred” after the Labour politician backed a high-profile bid launched by feminist Caroline Criado-Perez to keep a woman on a British bank note, Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard.

Alison Morgan, prosecuting, told the court that Nunn “embarked on a campaign of hatred in various different forms towards both women” last summer.

He allegedly retweeted a threatening message sent to Ms Creasy which threatened her with rape which he intended to video and broadcast on the internet. Over the next day he allegedly sent a barrage of other offensive messages to the London MP using twitter.

In his next message he posted “best way to rape a witch, try and drown her first then just when she’s gagging for air that’s when you enter”. Later that evening he allegedly posted: “If you can’t threaten to rape a celebrity, what is the point in having them?”

At 10pm that night, half an hour before Ms Criado-Perez and Ms Creasy were due to appear on Newsnight, Nunn left another tweet branding the MP an “evil witch”.

Nunn was arrested at his home Emersons Green, Bristol, on August 7. The self-dubbed blogger and journalist admitted he had retweeted the messages, but said he did “to further debate”.

Nunn has since accused Ms Criado-Perez in a series of manic video blogs of lying about rape threats in a “hoax” to clamp down on internet freedom.

Ms Morgan told the court that while the blog entries do not form part of the criminal charge, they show the “hatred” he had for the women.

Nunn denies sending a message that was grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character by a public electronic network between July 28 and August 5 last year.

He was bailed and the case adjourned until September 2.