US embassy bomber had disorder of brain

0
Have your say

The suicide bomber who attacked the US embassy in Ankara spent several years in prison on terrorism charges but was released on probation after being diagnosed with a hunger 
strike-related brain disorder, it emerged.

The bomber, identified as left-wing militant Ecevit Sanli, 40, killed himself and a Turkish security guard on Friday in what US officials said was a terrorist attack.

Sanli was armed with enough TNT to blow up a two-storey building and also detonated a hand grenade, officials said.

Turkish prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said police believed the bomber was connected the outlawed militant group Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party-Front, or DHKP-C.

On Saturday, DHKP-C claimed responsibility for the attack, saying Sanli carried out the act of “self-sacrifice” on its behalf.

The group called itself “immortal” and said “Down with imperialism and the collaborating oligarchy”, but gave no reason for attacking the US embassy.

Turkey’s NTV television, meanwhile, said police detained three people on Saturday who may be connected to the embassy attack during operations in Ankara and Istanbul.

NTV, citing unidentified security sources, said one of the suspects was a man whose identity Sanli allegedly used to enter Turkey illegally, while another was suspected of forging identity papers.

Earlier, interior minister Muammer Guler said Sanli had fled Turkey after he was released from jail in 2001, but managed to return to the country using a fake ID.

NTV said he was believed to have come from Germany, crossing into Turkey from Greece.

DHKP-C has claimed responsibility for assassinations and bombings since the 1970s, but it has been relatively quiet in recent years. Compared to al-Qaida, it has not been seen as a strong terrorist threat.

Sanli’s motives remained unclear, but some Turkish government officials have linked the attack to the arrest last month of dozens of suspected members of the DHKP-C group in a nationwide sweep.