A WOMAN and her six-year-old son needed oxygen treatment after escaping from a house fire in Barnsley.
It is believed that the blaze in Birkwood Avenue, Cudworth, began after a build-up of fat in the oven caught fire, filling the kitchen with smoke.
The fire broke out at about 9.30pm on Tuesday. A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said: “The woman, in her 30s, and her boy were already outside the house on Birkwood Avenue when Cudworth and Barnsley firefighters arrived on the scene.
“A team of firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property to deal with the fire and to ventilate the kitchen.
“The occupants were given oxygen by firefighters at the scene.”
It is thought that the occupants were alerted to the blaze by smoke alarms.
Firefighters are also encouraging people to make sure that their smoke alarms are working by signing up for free test reminders at http://pressthebutton.co.uk