Youth town centre curfew reports branded ‘nonsense’

0
Have your say

Reports of a curfew banning all under-16s from Barnsley town centre after 9pm have been refuted as “nonsense”.

Barnsley Central MP Dan Jarvis said much misinformation had been spread about the six-month dispersal order, which came into force on Friday.

“There has been a lot of nonsense talked about this,” he said.

“We can’t get into a situation where we say just because you are 15 and 11 months you can’t come into the town centre. That is ridiculous and would send a very worrying message to young people about the level of trust being placed in them – but that is not what is being done here.”

Authorities in the town said the order would not act as a blanket ban on unaccompanied under-16s and would be used only to move on those causing trouble.

Barnsley Council said the measure was a “low key intervention” to reduce anti-social behaviour.

Inspector Julie Mitchell, of South Yorkshire Police, added: “The order is not intended to be applied without discretion. We want residents and visitors to come into the town centre for retail and leisure.”

Back to the top of the page